Part of Precision Health’s mission is to help connect researchers to our vast data, computing, and analytics resources. Dedicated staff are available to guide you through the process and to meet the few prerequisites in place to ensure data privacy, security, and compliance. We encourage you to connect with us at PHDataHelp@umich.edu so that we can speed your access.
To access Precision Health resources, you will need:
- Level-1 password
- Completion of HIPAA training through MyLINC: DOCTR_HIPAA10005 SELF-SERVE DATA TOOLS
- Active certification of PEERRS through MyLINC: HUMAN SUBJECTS RESEARCH PROTECTIONS
- Enrollment in DUO Authentication
- Connection to the campus VPN
- A signed paper attestation sent to PHDataHelp@umich.edu
- For De-Identified DataDirect access, Faculty must also sponsor a staff or student through the tool by following the guide on page 9
- For patient-level data, a completed eResearch application through IRBMED (not HSBS) and attained, at a minimum, a “not regulated” determination
- Precision Health membership (for faculty)
A Level-1 password is required to access the Analytics Platform documentation site, which provides guidance on how to access and use features, resources, and tools.
IRB Application Guidance
All IRB applications should go through IRBMed and not HSBS.
Type of IRB application needed by investigators for Precision Health resources:
|Dataset Type||IRB application|
|Aggregate datasets||No IRB application required|
|“Deidentified” or “Limited” datasets (per HIPAA definition)||Require an IRB application. At a minimum, receive a “not-regulated” determination|
|Datasets with Protected Health Information (PHI) beyond the limited dataset level||Require IRB review and approval or exempt determination|
Deidentified health data and genomic data requests on their own are pre-approved by the MGI committee and do not need a specific letter or commitment to submit to IRB. Biospecimen requests and re-contact of Precision Health participants (MGI et al.) will need Precision Health MGI Access Committee approval.
Contact the Data Office for Clinical & Translational Research (DOCTR) with any IRB-related questions: DataOffice@umich.edu.